Building the Future - Scrum
- While a company is working to maintain its present you need to also build for the future.
- If you don’t obsolete yourself and evolve someone else will do it for you.
- This means taking bets on the future
- A company needs to be moving in the same direction with minimal waste.
- Scrum encourages high velocity movement in the right directon that aligns everyone in the company along the goals.
- These goals are the OKRs which themselves are a way to get to the Vision
- A company must be able to accelerate over time and every person on the team must be able to accelerate over time as well.
- It is important to create this culture of rapid tempo if you want to make change.
- A scrum works in short intervals of time such as a week to a month
- The goal is to get everyone to figure out their tasks
- Everyday they need to move towards the goal
- Impediments must be removed
- Experiments that go towards the goal must be promoted regardless of who created them
- The whole company needs to move as one.
- That is the goal and objective of the scrum.
- It is to relentlessly remove things to focus on the core that can get done in any iteration.
- It is to have deliverables that you can show at the end of every sprint.
- There MUST be deliverables that you can see and use.
- It must be concrete.
- It must lead to the objectives of the company.
Books and Research
Working on Now - Kanban / Standard Operating Procedures
- As you are working on the Experiments to seek new opportunities you need to address the concerns of the present.
- By creating Standard Operating Procedures that create systems around How you do things you can create effectively create a machine that runs the current needs of the company
- sops are a machine as they give you the habits of an organization.
- Habits and good habits are just as important for an organization as they are to a person
- They allow you to do more and make sure that you move in the rig direction and that nothing is falling through the cracks
- Sops should be set up to be manual in the beginning
- They then get more and more optimal
- But to much optimization makes a system brittle
- So a system should still be able to change forms
- A system that is too constrained to the task cannot evolve
- So it is important to figure out how to have enough efficient but also increase throughout
- Throughout is an important measure of how things are getting done
- Once you figure out your sops you need to increase the throughout of the system
- Throughout doesn't mean everyone has to work optimally. You need some slack as things go from one section to the other
- If you are a leader of a company you need to essentially delegate these tasks
- You need to focus on future growth
• Books and Research