There was neither non-existence nor existence then.
There was neither the realm of space nor the sky which is beyond.
In whose protection?
Was there water, bottlemlessly deep?
There was neither death nor immortality then.
There was no distinguishing sign of night nor of day.
That One breathed, windless, by its own impulse.
Other than that there was nothing beyond.
Darkness was hidden by darkness in the beginning,
with no distinguishing sign, all this was water.
The life force that was covered with emptiness,
that One arose through the power of heat.
Desire came upon that One in the beginning,
that was the first seed of mind.
Poets seeking in their heart with wisdom
found the bond of existence and non-existence.
Their cord was extended across.
Was there below?
Was there above?
There were seed-placers, there were powers.
There was impulse beneath, there was giving forth above.
Who really knows?
Who will here proclaim it?
Whence was it produced?
Whence is this creation?
The gods came afterwards, with the creation of this universe.
Who then knows whence it has arisen?
Whence this creation has arisen
perhaps it formed itself, or perhaps it did not
the One who looks down on it,
in the highest heaven, only He knows
or perhaps even He does not know.
Rig Veda, Nasadiya (Creation Hymn)
Men do not care how nobly they live, but only how long, although it is within the reach of every man to live nobly, but within no man's power to live long.
But a man cannot stand prepared for the approach of death if he has just begun to live. We must make it our aim already to have lived long enough.
- Letters from a Stoic, Seneca
- stocism is a good way to understand that you can both try and be disconnected from the realities that can come when one tries
- understand that life is a battle and you are Godâs footsoldier but you must strive for the betterment of the world even when what people seem to want are inquisitors running their lives.Â
Rejoice, O young man, in your youth; and let your heart cheer you in the days of your youth, and walk in the ways of your heart, and in the sight of your eyes: but know you, that for all these things God will bring you into judgment. -Ecclesiastes 11:9
Lord give me chastity and continency, only not yet. - St. Augustine
Trust in Allah, but tie your camel. - Mohammod
Atheists are just modern versions of religious fundamentalists: both take religion too literally. - The Bed of Procrustes: Philosophical and Practical Aphorisms
Most religions all talk about the same thing. Love of god, existence, universe. Never judge another religion for their beliefs without also judging your own. The criteria for seeking truth is universal but if we are not willing to discredit and find fault in even science we might as well be machines. Science canât answer everything nor can religion. They have rely on each other and we have to rely on both.
- Remember that religion was what gave us science in the first place.
- People want an ideal like Jesus because they can never live up to such a person, but Jesus never asked them to bow.
- Thus, people want an inquisitor someone to tell them what to do and feel.
- Most people are not strong willed and at the end of the day between bread and ideals will choose bread. The instinct to survive is greater than the ideal of a Jesus.